Happy New Year! I hope you’re making the transition to writing “2013”…I’m still working on it, as I failed miserably when writing out a check yesterday.
The Asphalt Cowgirl travel season is in full swing. Silly me, I went ahead and added up the miles. Looks like around 4375 or so in January alone…so I think the Asphalt Cowgirl moniker is still appropriate!
My first trip took me to the Golden Triangle and Hi-Line region of Montana. We had great turnouts at both meetings and a lot of young producers in attendance, which is so encouraging and exciting.
During my windshield time, I tend to see and experience interesting and fairly random things. Here are some highlights from the first foray of the year.
· Before I’d even reached greater Belgrade on Friday morning, I saw a small red car which appeared to have some sort of canvas frame tied on the top. It wasn’t tied on very well, however, and the small red car looked as if it might take flight at any time.
· My state pickup was spoiled when I was in Miles City, as it lived in a garage. Now it has to tough it out in the parking lot on campus. I drove for a large portion of Friday with an ice/snow mohawk on the cab. Oddly, as I drove toward the “great white North” of Havre, America, it just got warmer. Somewhere between Great Falls and Fort Benton, it was warm and windy enough to shave off the mohawk.
· CW McCall’s “Convoy” was a featured song playing on KMON 560 AM. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. It’s a good thing I travel alone, because no one could stand my singing.
· Best misspelled word of the trip: “sumptious”. As in “try our sumptious desserts”. Better than sumptious deserts, I guess.
· I was stopped for a funeral procession. The flag-draped casket was being transported to the cemetery in the back of a pickup, complete with three pallbearers sitting on each side.
Next up, the southeastern Montana winter ag series.: 10 towns, 10 talks, 5 days.
Yours in travel,
The Asphalt Cowgirl
“Now our windshield’s a painting that hangs in our room, It changes each mile like the radio tune” —Rodeo Moon, Chris Ledoux
The short URL of the present article is: http://www.escapadesofanasphaltcowgirl.com/O7VZJ